Saturday of the Third Week of Lent - March 13, 2021

Hosea 6:1-6 Luke 18: 9-14

When I was in my teens and twenties, I actually put little thought into my Lenten sacrifice. It had to be something that I would miss, but something that I could give up without completely changing my lifestyle. Such good old standards of giving up chocolate or sweets was doable, but very much missed. After I started having children, to be honest, I was often too stressed or tired to make an actual Lenten sacrifice or spiritual resolution. I was in survival mode, running on fumes, and figured that was enough of a sacrifice - and at the time, maybe it was. However, I fell into a bad habit that lasted beyond those initial “tunnel vision” years.

What was the importance of making a sacrifice? It seemed like an antiquated idea when Jesus already knew what was going on in my heart. My Lenten journey had gone from the bare minimum to nothing at all. In today’s first reading God says to Hosea “For it is love that I desire, not sacrifice, and knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.” (Hos 6:6) Was I correct in thinking that simply giving up chocolate or sweets is not pleasing to the Lord? Is the love already in my heart enough? Well, both yes and no, I think.

Upon further revelation, this passage suggests that God desires more than mere empty rituals. God desires something intimate, meaningful, and real. He sees the fruit that comes from hearts and minds that are freed from selfishness; that difficult sacrifices can help us open ourselves more fully to God’s love. I now understand that a well-intentioned, and let’s be honest, challenging Lenten sacrifice (like giving up wine or something, yikes!), is a loving tool from God that helps purify us and gives us clarity during Lent. In return, we can better love and serve all those who touch our lives, including our Savior.

My prayer is that during this Lenten season we all have a transformative experience that opens our hearts so big they almost burst with God’s pure love.

Q: What is something in my life that I can sacrifice to help clear my mind so I can serve others more lovingly?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023