Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Isaiah 52:13-53:12 Hebrews 4:14-16; 5:7-9 John 18:1—19:42 

Every morning when I go to Mass and the Priest asks for our intentions for the day, my response is for “wisdom, courage, comfort and trust.” Wisdom to fi gure out the answer, the courage to carry it out, and the comfort that it is the best solution and the trust to know God is guiding us in the best way. When I read the Psalms for today, I was taken back by David’s trust in the Lord to guide him and keep him safe. “In you, Lord, I take refuge” 

A good friend coined this prayer when I was helping my parents navigate through my brother’s cancer. He passed away, but I continue to take comfort in those words and try daily to TRUST. Many people have commented on how they appreciate that petition so I continue to pray it. 

There are big things and little things that come into our lives that require us to trust as David did. Some things are as small as smiling at the person at the traffic light or as big as standing up for another’s rights. Satisfaction can come from trying new ways to step out into the world and be a voice for those who struggle with a voice or have none. How can we remind ourselves to quietly listen for the answers, have the courage to sometimes stretch and do the things that we fi nd uncomfortable, and then pray that there will be comfort in the end? With God at my side, I have found the strength to do many things in the last few years that I wouldn’t have been able to do without the Holy Spirit and the trust in God’s ways. 

As we take time today to reverence the Cross and reflect on the passion and death of our Lord, remember to listen and to pray for the wisdom of our Lord to guide us towards courage and comfort and to move forward with trust. “Be strong and take heart, all who hope in the Lord” 

Q: In what area in my life do I need to ask God for wisdom…for courage…for comfort…for trust?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023