Tuesday of Holy Week - April 4, 2023

Isaiah 49:1-6 John 13:21-33, 36-38 

Today’s readings remind me of all that is hidden from us. And how much we are hidden from ourselves. 

In Isaiah, the servant says, “I thought that I had toiled in vain, and for nothing, uselessly spent my strength.” Like we all do, the servant at one time felt that he was bereft of and hidden from God. Then, the servant declares that now he is a sharp-edged sword concealed in the shadow of His arm and a polished arrow hidden in His quiver. He has transformed from believing himself hidden from God to knowing that he is being hidden by God to be used to show his glory. 

When I sit in Church, I marvel at your faces for I see you as hidden arrows and concealed swords to “make a light to the nations.” I wonder that you may not know, for I doubt it in myself, the extraordinary strength that you give to those around you. By your example of simply showing up, God makes you a rock of refuge, a stronghold of safety. Your presence in that space, even though we do not know each other, profoundly shapes and grows my faith. 

In today’s Gospel, the apostles at the Last Supper seem terribly confused. Who will betray Jesus? What did Jesus mean in telling Judas “what you are going to do, do quickly?” Where is Jesus going? Why can’t Jesus be followed right away? To Jesus’ servants at that moment, the Last Supper must have been a mass of confusion. 

As a Christian servant, I have an endless barrage of questions and share that confusion. I can hide from myself that, like Peter hid his fellowship with Christ, I deny mine through inaction. So, I need you, the arrows and swords of God’s wondrous deeds, to help me so that what is uncertain and hidden may
confirm God’s glory. 

Q: Do I realize how my presence at Mass encourages others? When I go to Mass, whose presence gives me encouragement as a servant of God?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023