Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019



As I read my assignment for today, I felt relief. I knew these readings; I could relate to them. I had heard them multiple times and thought that I understood them well.

The first reading from Leviticus tells me to love my neighbor as myself and to judge my neighbor justly. I know this! I believe this in my head! I often find it difficult to carry out, but I do believe it.

Today’s gospel, Matthew 25, many of us know well through readings, songs, and social concerns committees, "Whatever you do for one of the least of …mine, you do to me." Feed the hungry; give drink to the thirsty; welcome the stranger; clothe the naked; comfort the sick; visit the prisoner. We try to do these things in our life.

I decided to read our parish book, Stranger God by Richard Beck, to see how it could expand my understanding of Matthew 25 – and expand it did! After I read the book, I realized that I had been reading Matthew 25 literally. I serve food to the homeless, donate household goods to refugees, build houses for the poor, and celebrate mass with prisoners. However, I began asking myself, “Did I ever really see Jesus in these strange people or was I doing these good works to make myself feel good?”

Beck says that the God who comes to us in strangers is too strange for us to see. In today’s parable God said to the goats, "I was everywhere in disguise." Beck goes on to say, "Jesus comes to us in the strangest and most unlikely of places. Jesus comes to us in the failures - in the discarded, the jobless, and the addicted. Jesus comes to us in the crazed and demented, in the deformed and disabled. Jesus comes to us in a wheelchair or pushing a cart on skid row. But we have to see him!”

Q:  Who is the person in whom I struggle to see Jesus?

Comments

  1. I am loving these daily reflections! I'm so glad I can access them online from anywhere. Thank you, Megan B.!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023