Fifth Sunday of Lent - March 26, 2023

Isaiah 43:16-21 Philippians 3:8-14 John 8:1-11

Unfortunately, I am able to easily say that death is the most significant image that is present in my life at this time. My wife of 50+ years died approximately 2½ years ago. My wife was a seriously  committed Catholic and she was able to accept her death after an illness of less than 2 years.

She said, “Jim, I am ready.” I think a lot about what “ready” means and what it meant to Kathy! Clearly, Kathy thought that she had accomplished a full life of being a mother to our children, being a loving and faithful wife to me, and being an active and meaningful friend to the people she met and the organizations she assisted and contributed to. She was at her best when assisting “others.” Probably the biggest contribution Kathy made to me and our children was that she has made it easy for us to face our own deaths because she was “at peace” with her imminent death; and yet she showed us a graceful way to handle the process and demonstrate that Jesus “clearly dwelled in her to the end of her life.”

The subject of my reflection discusses death and as I write this I can’t help but mention the family that lost their son, Tyre Nichols, who was murdered by 5 policemen. They demonstrate to us, by their example, how to handle the ultimate loss of their son and the ultimate service they have been forced to endure.

Q: Recalling those in my life who have died, how does the way they lived give me hope?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023