Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023

Isaiah 42:1-7 John 12:1-11 

One of my New Year’s resolutions is to be more mindful about how I spend my time. When we started having kids, everyone was always telling us, “enjoy it while it lasts because they grow up so fast!” I’d look at my tiny baby and think, yeah okay, we’ve got a long way to go. Fast forward 6 years, we have a kindergartener, and I am constantly asking myself, “where did the time go!?!?” 

This Gospel is a reminder to me that I need to take advantage of every moment just as Mary decided to take advantage of that special moment with Jesus when she anointed his feet. It is so easy to get caught up in the busyness of everyday life and fi nd ourselves just going through the motions without putting much thought into the importance of our actions. When I am at church, am I really present? I often fi nd that my focus is on how my children are behaving and if they are disturbing the people around us. When I am at home, am I making the most of my time with my family? Sadly, I am usually guilty of worrying about how clean the house is, if the dishes are done, and if the laundry has been folded, instead of just enjoying all the little moments with my husband and three girls. 

Lent is an opportunity to reflect on our priorities. When Jesus states, “… but you do not always have me” it causes me to question what I am doing throughout the week to strengthen my relationships: both my relationship with Christ and with my loved ones. Like Mary’s anointing moment with Jesus, what are my “anointing” moments with Christ? With my husband? My children? My parents? Am I making the most of my time and focusing on what’s really important? 

Q: If reading this in the morning, what encounters do I want to “anoint” with my attention? If reading this at night, when I review the day, which moments mattered most?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019