Wednesday of the Fifth Week of Lent - March 29, 2023

Daniel 3:14-20, 91-92, 95 John 8:31-42 

This Gospel passage begins with Jesus promising those who already believed in him that if they “remain in my word… [they] will know the truth and the truth will set you free.” The believers and would-be disciples seem to take offense at the suggestion that they are not already “free” because they are descendants (sons) of Abraham. Jesus explains further, “everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin.” I think Jesus wants them to accept that we are all slaves of sin and no person, whatever your religion or background, is immune. Jesus is challenging those who already believe in him that “belief,” even belief that is handed down to them for generations, is not enough to set them free from sin. 

I confess that until recently my life was mostly “semi-secular” in belief and practice. I believed in God, but never understood how sacrificing his Son Jesus was an act of love so that we may be forgiven for our sins. However, after my own son Matthew’s passing in 2014, I needed answers and began attending Mass occasionally with my sister-in-law. Attending Mass led me to enroll in RCIA in the Fall of 2016 and my Confirmation at Visitation at Easter 2017. 

In today’s Gospel Jesus says to those who claim belief in him, even with the faith of Abraham, need to remain in his Word or they will never be free from the slavery of sin. However, his believers are not convinced. He persisted, reminding them of the plots against him and saying “but now you are trying to kill me.” I think Jesus said this to convince them that he is the Son of God the Father. This passage shows me that Jesus truly has endless patience because he loves all of us. 

I believe the good news that Christ has set us free from the power of sin. But I also believe that for my part, I must continue to pay attention to the Holy Spirit and my conscience every day. 

Q: When have I experienced a feeling of freedom because of my faith?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023