Thursday of the Fifth Week of Lent - March 30, 2023

Genesis 17:3-9 John 8:51-59 

In the first reading Abraham (formerly Abram) was made “father of a host of nations” for maintaining God’s covenant. In return God asked that Abraham’s descendants keep their covenant throughout all the ages. Now, as a ‘Type A’ person I struggle with this deeply, as I want to be 100% in control of my narrative, and think I know what is best for me. After years of struggling with grief and loss I hated to hear “God won’t give you more than you can handle.” I felt my life was out of control, but I eventually learned it was just out of MY control. I needed to surrender myself to God and uphold my covenant to him. Now this requires patience, and I can assure you that is a virtue I have yet to master. If we remain patient and faithful to our covenant with God, we too will continue to receive God’s unconditional blessings and he will deliver gifts beyond our wildest dreams…it may just be on a different timeline than we originally planned. 

As Jesus promised “whoever keeps [his] word will never see death,” the people in the Temple area refused to hear his words and called him possessed. They can’t fi nd logic in what Jesus is saying to them, either because they don’t comprehend it or because they don’t want to believe his word. I reflect on this and ask, “when have I not liked what God was speaking to me and found it easier to reject his calling and go down my own stubborn path?” 

I pray this Lenten season that I will be more like Abraham and be obedient to God’s calling and trust He will maintain His covenant with me and my descendants after me. And for those of you like me who struggle to let go… know that “the human heart plans the way, but the Lord directs the steps” (Proverbs 16:9). 

Q: What am I stubbornly trying to control right now in my life? What practical steps can I take to “let go” and let God lay out my path?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023