Solemnity of St. Joseph, Spouse of Mary - March 20, 2023

Fr. Richard Saale presided at the funeral of my 88 year-old paternal grandfather, Gasperi. That was 45 years ago yet I remember well how Fr. Saale described him in his homily. It went something like this: “Men like Gasperi are the real heroes in this world. He was a respectful son and brother, a faithful husband and dutiful father. He kept the faith.” I was an adult but had never really thought about my grandfather as a person until I heard these words. I always felt closer to my grandma; she was more
dynamic and fun. I was also named after her. Allow me to reminisce more on this Feast of St. Joseph since I share part of his name too.
 
From my earliest memories, St. Joseph was my favorite saint. I adopted him, or he, me, as my patron. I’ve thought about this a lot through the decades: what was it about Joseph, or the stories of him, that
first drew me close? And what is it about St. Joseph that keeps me close?

Scripture tells us that Joseph was a descendant of David, husband of Mary, earthly father to Jesus. He was a carpenter or tradesman. God spoke to Joseph in dreams, and he did as God asked. No words are attributed to him. “he was a righteous man….,” “he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him…” (Mt. 1:18,24)

As I think about it, St. Joseph embodies all the virtues I need to live a faithful life: righteous (to be in good relationship with God is the definition of righteousness I like best), humble, faithful, behind the scenes, standing in for the more important, never in the spotlight. St. Joseph is a perfect patron and model for me. His are all the virtues I strive for, especially during this holy season of Lent. My grandpa embodied many of these virtues. I’m forever grateful to Fr. Saale for pointing that out to me.

Q: What saints, family members, friends, and strangers inspire me to strive to live in good relationship with God and others? Take a moment to thank God for these people?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Ash Wednesday - February 22, 2023

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023