Second Sunday of Lent - March 5, 2023

Genesis 12:1-4a 2 Timothy 1:8b-10 Matthew 17:1-9

I’ve never really understood this “in tents” story. Peter, along with James and John - “sons of Thunder” (Mark 3:17) - hike up a mountain with Jesus, who is transfigured, then God speaks from a cloud! Let’s unpack this a bit: Why Moses and Elijah? Both had famous experiences with God on a mountaintop (Exodus 24:9–34:35 and 1 Kings 19:8–18). OK, so God brings Moses and Elijah back.

Peter’s first reaction? Build three tents! What’s he thinking? Scholars say Peter was not referring to ordinary campsite tents. The Greek word translated as “tents” refers to crude shelters the Hebrews called a sukkah (“sook-kah”), with roofs of willows, palm trees, and other leafy trees (Leviticus 23:40-43). Easy to build and take down - the Israelites used these as they wandered the desert. God even gave Moses instructions for an annual 7-day festival where the Israelites were to build sukkot and pray (Leviticus 23:33-44). Jesus and His disciples attended this festival once ( John 7:1-37). Jews to this day build these simple structures on their patio or backyard deck and gather in them for meals during the festival.

So, Peter thinks I’ll build three tents to pray. “Hold on, Peter!” God says. And as Peter was still speaking a bright cloud came overhead and God spoke: “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased, listen to Him.” At this, the three apostles fell down “very much afraid.” But, Jesus says: “Don’t be afraid.” Then, as they hiked down, Jesus tells them not to talk about what they just saw until He’s been raised from the dead.

Sometime after the Resurrection, Peter must’ve told the disciples: “You’re not going to believe this, but one time, up on a mountain with James and John …”

I am reminded of times that I may have reacted on impulse like Peter without thinking what God was really trying to show me. Usually, I am judging someone too quickly on first impressions. I do this a lot, only to find later that I was wrong. I’ll try to be more patient, not rush to judgment, and ask myself, “what is God really trying to show me here – through this person or event?”

Q: Has there ever been something in my faith or my life in general that I thought was so important and demanding of my attention that I almost missed what God was really trying to show me?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023