Saturday of the Second Week of Lent - March 11, 2023

“My son you are here with me always…” Today’s Gospel from Luke about the prodigal son teaches us about God’s unlimited forgiveness, mercy and love.

Growing up I was the older son of two. Both my brother and I did most things right and never squandered or went far from the “flock”. The idea of inheritance was never wealth but more in guidance and actions…My father was always interested in our events and lives and I do believe that had one of
us squandered it, he “would embrace him and kiss him.”

Selfishly as a father I feel most compelled to see what Jesus did and ask myself, “do I have that same resolve and wisdom? am I acting as Jesus has guided me?” Imagine hearing these words from your child, “I know longer deserve to be called your son.” I would be devastated; and at the same time, could I feel love and admiration?

Do I embrace him and kiss him? What is a departure? What is squander? – Could it be strength or resolve to go from the “flock” – is the older one who stayed necessarily the stronger one? I fi nd more questions than answers regarding the sons. There are so many emotions that would overcome – in
following the Gospel I know I would celebrate the homecoming. This is a great message of forgiveness.

Luke’s words are so pivotal in how we must approach our day to day actions. This is such great wisdom for so many families that have or are experiencing a child wandering off—as Luke teaches us we must let the child recognize what was squandered. Not until we hear, “I know longer deserve to be called
your son” will you know that the child has returned and all will celebrate. This passage always makes me better understand that often our weakest, shallowest moments can often become our strongest. Now as I reflect on my actions as a father of 3 sons and 1 daughter I often reflect on the courage and wisdom
of Jesus in this incredible resolve to celebrate the one that squandered—Our faith will always be tested but without forgiveness we have accomplished nothing. “He was lost and has been found.” Lent is the time to forgive, celebrate, love and gather your flock.

Q: Imagine myself as the father in Jesus’ parable, what would I have done? Would I be accepting? Would I be able to forgive?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023