Saturday of the First Week of Lent - March 4, 2023

 Deuteronomy 26:16-19 Matthew 5:43-48

Can a person love God with all your heart and all your soul? This seems extremely difficult. When I think hard about this, it makes me not want to even try. At first. I mean, “ALL your heart…”? C’mon! I can certainly carve out a spot in my heart for God. But there’s so much else in the world to do. We all have deadlines to meet, obligations to fulfill, and ample forms of entertainment to appease our needs.

As a kid, growing up, I’d go through the motions. We went to church as afamily. I’d occasionally pay attention, but most of the Mass was over my head. My sisters and I went to CCD. We learned the stories in the Bible but were mostly coaxed along with snacks. I was confirmed; then my spiritual life went into hibernation. As a college student, I went to church a few times (emphasis on a few). I was more interested in school, sports, and friendships than observing God’s ways. After college, living the single life as a young professional, I didn’t make much time for God or church. I reasoned that it was because I didn’t have anyone with whom to share it. To me, church was a family affair. I didn’t have a community, and I was lonely at church. 

But God is patient. I realize that I have a truly blessed life. I have a wonderful wife and family, great career, and a prosperous lifestyle. All my basic needs of food, clothing, shelter, and companionship are more than met. Even when I tend to get distracted by things the Bible warns against as barriers to knowing and loving God, I have a great faith community to help guide me.

When I look deeply at the Visitation community beyond the surface, I see endless amounts of caring, generosity, and selflessness. Visitation provides so many countermeasures to my spiritual apathy. These are models of love, and God is love. There’s a long road ahead, and I’m sure it will take a lifetime to truly love God with ALL my heart and soul.

Q: What things currently take up space in my heart? Where is God in my love for each of those things/people?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023