Saturday of the Fifth Week of Lent - April 1, 2023

Ezekiel 37:21-28 John 11:45-56 

In both the first reading and the Gospel today, the underlying theme I see is the struggle for power and the sides of that power that separate us. Through the prophet Ezekiel God is wanting to gather his people so they are not divided into two kingdoms. I would be remiss if I did not point out that obvious struggle that is still present in our society today. Republican, Democrat, right, left, gay, straight, black, white, rich, poor…it seems we are more divided than we have ever been. 

I don’t know about you, but I crave peace in my own life. I do my best to listen to the other point of view and befriend those who have a different view than me. I don’t always succeed but I think God gives us grace for trying. Ultimately, he wants all people to share in his covenant of peace. 

In the Gospel reading, the same struggle for power continues. The people in power were fearful of losing that power. They decided they were going to kill Jesus. In doing so, He would die and bring believers together, “into one the dispersed children of God.” Through his sacrifi ce, Power was transferred to the less powerful. 

For me these two readings hit home in that we are all here to make the world a better place by being vehicles of peace and not constantly perpetuating the struggle for power. This Lenten season I challenge everyone to work toward being a vehicle of peace. 

Q: What power struggles have I witnessed going on around me lately? Have I been a voice for peace amid the struggle? Why or why not?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023