Monday of the Third Week of Lent - March 13, 2023

2 Kings 5:1-15ab Luke 4:24-30

Today’s readings focus on the theme of listening, specifically how well we listen to others and ultimately how well we listen to the Word of God. In 2nd Kings, Naaman wants to be cured of his leprosy but does not initially listen to Elisha who tells him to wash seven times in the Jordan River. It took the prodding by Naaman’s servants to do what Elisha said to do. In the Gospel of Luke, the people in the synagogue in Jesus’ hometown would not listen to him, prompting Jesus to say “no prophet is accepted in his own native place.”

Sometimes not listening is due to hearing only what we want to hear. Naaman thought Elisha could cure him by just moving his hand over the spot of his leprosy or that the rivers of Damascus were better than the Jordan.

I look back on the many times in my life when I did not heed the good advice of others or when I did not take the time to pray about a decision or choice I was about to make and then suffered or caused others to suffer. I was just like Naaman or those in the synagogue, being stubborn and prideful instead of really listening. How much better would it have been if I listened to those who were wiser than me or took the time to discern God’s will through prayer and contemplation.

Likewise, how many times have I been inattentive when listening to others, thinking of what I wanted to say or drifting off when listening to the readings at Mass? Let me be like Mary of Bethany who sat at Jesus’ feet listening attentively to his Word instead of being anxious about so many things.

Q: What strategies can I use to help me listen more attentively to others, to those wiser than me, to those I love and most especially to the voice of God?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023