Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent - March 27, 2023

Daniel 13:41c-62 John 8:12-20

In today’s readings we witness God’s abundant mercy. In the first reading from the book of Daniel, a falsely accused woman turns to God for help to be spared from being condemned to death. In John’s Gospel, we hear the story of the Pharisees bringing an adulteress before Jesus to validate their right to stone her. In both stories, our Lord responds with mercy and love coming to their aid, saving the women from being put to death, despite their guilt or innocence.

One of the lessons I take away is that just as the women rushed to God’s aid, I too should run to God, especially in times of trouble or need. There will be times in our lives when we identify with the  feelings the characters in these passages feel: fear, shame, guilt, humility. God has the ability to soothe hearts with His forgiveness and soften hearts with His wisdom. He responds with compassion and love. Our Lord is so gracious.

I should also reflect on my actions. When have I chosen sin? When have I accused someone for something they’ve done? When have I been judgmental? Jesus is talking to me when he says, “Let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone.”

Lent is a time for reflection. I ask the Lord to help me love as Jesus does, give me courage to avoid sin and to help me forgive as Jesus did. Help me always seek truth, wisdom and love.

Q: Toward whom have I been judgmental lately? Striving to be like Jesus, what words of encouragement can I offer that person today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023