Monday of the First Week of Lent - February 27, 2023

 Leviticus 19:1-2, 11-18 Matthew 25:31-46

In the Spiritual Exercises, St. Ignatius teaches us to insert ourselves into the gospel scene. By doing so we become a part of the story. Where are we and what do we hear and see? How are the people reacting to what Jesus is saying?

As I contemplate today’s gospel, I see myself sitting close to Jesus on a grassy hill overlooking the sea of Galilee. It’s a sunny, mild day. Others near me question when they have seen Jesus naked, hungry, thirsty or in jail. We are perplexed and voices are raised until Jesus raises his hand, asking for quiet. In a gentle voice he teaches us to be aware of our surroundings and urges us to be sensitive to opportunities where we can offer a helping hand.

This reminds me of a time when my wife, Karen, and I were in NYC in December. It was cold and snow was falling. As we walked down the crowded sidewalk after dinner, we were suddenly face to face with a woman walking past us with no clothes or shoes. The only protection she had was a thin sheet. We were initially startled and then turned to find her but were unable to locate her in the crowd. A couple of thoughts have stayed with me over the years. What kept me from acting more quickly? Where did she disappear to? Was she Jesus in our midst, testing us?

Lent provides us with an opportunity to slow down and open our eyes and ears with the hope to encounter Jesus in our midst. And to pray for the courage to act.

Q: Where have I encountered Jesus and been slow to react?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023