Friday after Ash Wednesday - February 24, 2023

Isaiah 58:1-9a Matthew 9:14-15

“This, rather, is the fasting that I wish: releasing those bound unjustly... sharing your bread with the hungry, sheltering the oppressed and the homeless... Then your light shall break forth like the dawn.”

For many the focus in Lent is fasting from food, drink, or other possible vices. As a child, I grew up abstaining from popcorn or chocolate during Lent. While this method of preparing for the Lord’s Resurrection helped instill in me a sense of performing a daily “sacrifice,” it fell short in nurturing spiritual growth. As my age and my faith matured over the years, I chose to “give up” and “give back.” Giving back strengthens prayer life and enhances outreach to God’s community.

This intentional method of stewardship takes form for me with more disciplined prayer time, participating in extra volunteer activities with my children, and attending Triduum Masses. While the focus is on the forty days, it can easily extend beyond the Lent season and create a steady drumbeat of “give back” opportunities throughout the year.

The reading from Isaiah acknowledges that there are multiple ways to fast. The marriage of both giving up and giving back helps us prepare our hearts during the Lenten season. It is through sacrifice and giving that we shall truly receive the Lord.

Q: What are some ways I can “give back” as a form of fasting?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023