First Sunday of Lent - February 26, 2023

Genesis 2: 7-9; 3:1-7 Romans 5:12, 17-19 Matthew 4: 1-1

As I reflect on today’s readings, I am reminded that every human carries the breath of God – not just physically, but also spiritually. We live because God wills it, and each of us can experience real life through his Son, Jesus Christ. 

These readings also demonstrate the spiritual battle of temptation. The Oxford Dictionary defines “temptation” as “the desire to do something, especially something wrong or unwise.” When faced with temptation, how often do we rely on God’s word and trust that it’s for our own goodness, just as Jesus did in today’s Gospel? Or instead, do we choose to hide from God and make decisions based on temptation or what we feel is right?

I think about how often I am faced with daily temptations and the desire to choose what I feel is right (or easy), rather than leaning on Scripture and God’s will for me. Today I’m reminded of the strength the Word of God gives us during moments of temptation.

Building strength for our most vulnerable moments requires intentionality, diligence, and patience. I’m writing this on New Year’s Day, which is timely as I reflect on 2022 and focus on the new year ahead. For me, meditating on these readings has provided inspiration and hope, while reminding me of the power of Scripture.

During this season of Lent (and beyond), may we take time to focus on God’s Word for guidance and food for our soul. While it’s easy to succumb to life’s daily chaos, it’s my hope that today’s readings offer inspiration to lean on God’s Word in a way that leads to a more spiritually enriched life.

Q: How can I lean on Scripture to give me strength during my most vulnerable times? What will put me on the best spiritual path as a follower of Jesus Christ?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023