Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent - April 4, 2022

Daniel 13:41c-62        John 8:12-20

Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness but will have the light of life.”

The gospel today reminds me of how Jesus tries to share the meaning of His life.  In my mind’s ear I hear His words as if He is speaking to me now and trying to help me–“I am the light of the world”…“I know where I have come from and where I am going.” Later He says, “I have come from the Father and I am going back to the Father.” He teaches both what He came to give me, and how I can go about getting it.  I think about all that happened to Jesus in this context of the gospel.  If I follow the light of Christ, will I be taken on a similar journey in the safety of His companionship?  He is willingly walking by my side along this adventure.  His light allows me to see where I am going and how I am going to get there.

I try to remember that Christian faith is not based primarily on ideals, rules, or goals, but in a person, a relationship, that brings new meaning: light–to life.  Through this person, Jesus Christ, I gain the privilege of entering the mystery of God.

This spring my wife will cultivate the garden.  Without Jesus as my light, my potential never matures, like a seed planted in cold soil and starved of light.  In Jesus, with Him and through Him, my life will flourish and blossom, like the flowers in my wife’s garden, growth is brought forth from sunlight.

On the first day of creation, God filled the heavens and the earth with divine radiance by stating the words: “Let there be light.”  No matter how dark this world may seem, I remind myself that darkness can never overpower light.  Am I strong enough to listen to His voice and allow Him to be the Beacon to guide me in this wonderful but often dark world?

Q:  How am I enlightened by Jesus each day?  Am I growing in his light?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023