Wednesday of the Third Week of Lent - March 23, 2022

Deuteronomy 4:1, 5-9             Matthew 5:17-19

Today’s first reading speaks to the statutes and decrees which the Lord gave to Moses. The Ten Commandments were given to Moses, and he was commanded by the Lord to teach them to us, that we “may live, and may enter in and take possession of the land which the LORD, the God of your fathers is giving you.” The law given is evidence of the greatness of the nation, as the Lord is so close to His people and makes a covenant with them so that they might have wisdom. Rather than restricting our freedom, the law provides us with instructions in how to best order our life and achieve real freedom.

Moses goes on to admonish his people to be on guard and not “forget the things which your own eyes have seen, nor let them slip from your memory as long as you live, but teach them to your children and your children’s children.” This verse emphasizes the importance of how the faith is carried on from generation to generation, and stresses our duty to pass on what we have learned.

In the gospel reading for today, Jesus says that he “did not come to abolish the law, but to fulfill it.” He underscores that those who obey and teach these commandments “will be called greatest in the kingdom of heaven.” I feel extremely fortunate that I have been the recipient of good teaching and instruction. We are called to teach others, especially our children, the statutes of faith that we have been privileged to receive. Our individual testimony to one another about Jesus and the sacraments is of great value and needs to be shared.

Today’s readings remind me of the religious education of my youth. I recall being concerned at mass as a little girl when I saw my grandmother cry during the consecration. Asking her what was wrong, she said, “it’s just so beautiful.”

Q:  Am I willing to show others the effect that faith has on my life, especially to children? What holds me back from showing my faith to others?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023