Tuesday of the Third Week of Lent - March 22, 2022

Daniel 3:25, 34-43     Matthew 18:21-35

Today’s Gospel is really sticky and difficult. On paper, the Gospel sounds wonderful and even powerful. However, Jesus’ command to reconcile with others before approaching the altar of the Lord takes a lot of practice if it is to be done with authenticity. And, in a word, it also takes quite a bit of grace.

This past year was one of great loss for me. My mother, who suffered from Alzheimer’s, died one day after she turned 97. Losing your mother at any age is never easy, I learned. When Margaret died, a year ago in December, the world was shut down because of COVID. A funeral, the family decided, would have to wait.

When we finally gathered in late July for the funeral Mass, the stress of the pandemic and the different perspectives provided divisiveness in the family. Since then in an effort to heal and move on, I have learned to study grace in a more in-depth fashion.

In doing so, this is one conclusion that came to me in prayer: It is a moment of grace when you realize that someone’s behavior has nothing to do with you but rather with their own internal struggles.

Throughout this year, I have always felt my mother’s presence with me.  And, in this year when she was no longer physically present in my life, she taught me possibly the greatest and most difficult lessons in life. Mostly, she taught me to be kind and to live with an open heart. And, each day I begin again. It’s a practice.

Q: What opportunities will I have this week to gracefully practice mercy in my family and community?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023