Tuesday of the Second Week of Lent - March 15, 2022

 Isaiah 1:10, 16-20       Matthew 23:1-12

For me and my family, this past year has been a tough one; full of grief, pain, health issues, and suffering. And, of course, the COVID pandemic has forever changed our world and how we view our healthiness. Fortunately, all of today’s Scripture readings emphasize the need to be careful of the examples we look to for guidance on how to live. The question seems to me to be: since we are Christians, how should we now live?

For example, the gospel encourages us to “Set things right; to make for yourselves a new heart and a new spirit; and whoever exalts himself will be humbled, but whoever humbles himself will be exalted.”

There are so many examples in our culture of taking the easy way out, of holding back and letting someone else take the lead. The danger is going through life as a “spectator” watching what is happening, but not being involved in the actual “doing” of life. Whether it is sports, work, school, entertainment, or social media, it seems to me that there is a real danger in our culture of becoming increasingly isolated, fearful, and discouraged.

I think that God is encouraging us in His Word to get involved and participate in life! Don’t just “widen your phylacteries and lengthen your tassels,” but get in the game! Like the John Fogerty song says: "put me in, Coach, I’m ready to play!” We can take heart by forgetting what lies behind, reaching forward, and pressing on to the upward call of God in Christ Jesus!

I hope and pray that 2022 becomes a year of being humble servants within our homes, church, and our community.

Q:  In what areas of life do I sit on the sidelines - at home, at church, in community? Who can help put me in the “game?”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023