Tuesday of the Fourth Week of Lent - March 29, 2022

Ezekiel 47:1-9, 12     John 5:1-16

It’s easy to focus on the negative. Somehow complaining about your day to a family member, spouse, or friend is almost more expected than talking about the positive parts.

That’s the first thing you notice in this Gospel story–the Pharisees’ reliance on the rule of law, or the negative element of the event. Jesus heals a man who had been ill for 38 (!) years. Jesus tells the man to pick up his mat and walk away, which he miraculously does. Later that day, which was the Sabbath, the Pharisees see the man walking, and they demand to know why he is breaking the law. The man tells them Jesus told him to, and the Pharisees use this as an excuse to begin to persecute Jesus.

Instead of focusing on the amazing fact that the man was healed, the Pharisees choose to look for the “wrong” or negative aspect. Jesus had literally performed a miracle. But all the Pharisees could see was that Jesus violated the “law.”

How often in our busy lives do we act like these Pharisees? I know I do. It’s easy to focus on the wrong things. We can always find something to get upset about, something that can bother us. As a lawyer, if opposing counsel is making my case miserable, I can bring that home with me. I’ll think about the case all night. I’m home, but I’m not present with my family.

When I do this, I’m a Pharisee. I’m so focused on the “law” that I’m missing the everyday miracles around me: my youngest child reading a new word flawlessly, my oldest child executing a perfect left turn while driving, or my middle child swishing a free throw. Letting yourself overthink the little wrong turns of the day rather than thinking about the right things is easy to do. But today, during Lent, and beyond, let’s ignore that Pharisee-like thinking, and instead, focus on seeing all the amazing miracles that are happening every day.

Q:  What amazing miracle did I witness today?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023