Thursday of the Second Week of Lent - March 17, 2022

Jeremiah 17:5-10        Luke 16:19-31

Lent is a time of self-reflection and conversion. And so, I examine my life….

I am like the rich man in the gospel. I am abundantly blessed in all things, yet I do not share enough of what I have. I am callous like the rich man when I ignore and dismiss opportunities to right wrongs. I am arrogant like the rich man; too self-important to look beyond my comforts to hear cries for help. I am foolish like the rich man in assuming I will have tomorrow to change my ways.

I do not want to be like the rich man.

God reminds us during these 40 days of Lent that we can live in the hope that it is never too late to change our ways. It is not too late for me. It is not too late for any of us. But now is the time. Today is the day to do something radical that demonstrates my trust and hope in the path God is calling me to follow.

God is asking me to do something more; not necessarily something extravagant and most definitely not something beyond my abilities. He is asking me to do the ordinary with radical love and generosity. He wants me to ask the crying woman her name and offer to pray with her. He urges me to forgive the friend who does not take responsibility for the hurt they caused. Whatever it is He is asking of me, I just need to answer the call. He will take care of the rest.

God truly does not want me to have the fate of the rich man. God wants me to extend my hand and my heart to the Lazarus’ in my life. And therein lies the hope of a different fate: that one day Lazarus will be holding my hand in the Kingdom of Heaven instead of me begging him to extend his fingertip dipped in water to cool my lips.

Q: What distracts me from remaining with Jesus and staying in the moment throughout my day? Without shame, how can I turn my attention back to my life in Christ?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023