Solemnity of the Annunciation of the Lord - March 25, 2022

Isaiah 7:10-14; 8:10               Hebrew 10:4-10          Luke 1:26-38

As I sit to write this – it is the week before Christmas, and this very gospel reading… is today’s gospel reading. My thoughts immediately echo Mary: How can this be? I call this a God Moment - like a spiritual wine pairing. The time is right.

I love this story of Mary. I imagine a young girl, just going about her normal day, when Gabriel unexpectedly visits her with an unbelievable announcement – God interrupting a typical day. St. Luke does not give us many details, only that Mary was “greatly troubled,” or “thoroughly shaken.” The announcement that she would conceive a son through the power of God’s Spirit was so surprising that Mary quickly journeyed to visit Elizabeth to seek confirmation that the message was true.

What catches my curiosity is that God knew Mary’s heart well enough to know she would listen. And in that simple moment of belief, she would change human history. Mary’s response is our example; not only of obedience to God’s Will, but also trusting that God knows our hearts and will speak to us when the time is right.

How we recognize God is speaking to us, is something we each might express differently. God gives each of us opportunities to say “yes,” whether a call to service, giving, sharing a talent, more prayer, attending a retreat or faith formation event. Will we say, “here I am Lord; to do your will is my delight?”

This is my prayer: Lord, you are with me and know my heart. You have granted me a place in your family and turned my heart toward you. Prepare me to hear your voice and make my heart ready to answer, “yes, Lord, be it done unto me.”

Q:  Is my heart ready to say “yes” to whatever God asks of me?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023