Second Sunday of Lent - March 13, 2022

Genesis 15:5-12, 17-18           Phil 3:17—4:1            Luke 9:28b-36

In today’s gospel Luke describes the transfiguration of Jesus into his full glory. The verse that caught my attention takes place after Jesus’ changed appearance, as the prophets Moses and Elijah stood beside him in conversation. Scripture tells us that “Peter and his companions had been overcome by sleep, but becoming fully awake, they saw his glory and the two men standing with him.” 

A friend once joked that the disciples were often falling asleep. As in the transfiguration passage, after Jesus was praying in the Garden of Gethsemane he returned to his disciples and “found them sleeping.” What is going on? Why would they fall asleep at these critical moments in Jesus’ revelation? What is wrong with them?

I must say I probably am asleep more than awake as I meander through my life in faith. I attempt to live with intention and follow the example Jesus set before me. But if I am honest with myself, as long as things are going okay, I think I tend to fall ‘asleep’ spiritually. What I mean is that I only seem to turn to God with sincere, focused intention when the going gets tough. I am not always as cognizant as I should be of my need to turn to God at all times – whether bad or good.

Today’s Scripture Insights from At Home with the Word instruct us that “We must be open to God’s plan for us at every moment of our lives.” This gospel reading, and the season of Lent serve to remind me that it is time to become fully awake – to see God’s glory.

ted colburn:  husband of Cathy (the cantor), father of Elizabeth, Sarah and Teddy; soon-to-be grandfather. t.colburn@yahoo.com  (913) 940-0881

 

Q:  Through what areas of my life - family, work, faith, health - am I sleepwalking? How can I practice staying in the moment and being present to others at important transitions in life?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023