Saturday of the First Week of Lent - March 12, 2022

Deuteronomy 26:16-19           Matthew 5:43-48

For me, Jesus’ words today are pointed and clear.  He directs me each day to love; to pray for my enemies; to let go of my resentments. Sometime shortly after my husband Albert’s death, I found a little folder with some precious clippings and articles of great importance to him. One precious piece of paper was a copy of a little piece entitled “Let Go.”

The little piece begins “Let Go. If you want to be healthy, morally, mentally, and physically, just let go. Let go of the little annoyances of everyday life, the irritations and petty vexations that cross your path daily. LET THEM GO!” The advice is the same for life’s big troubles, bitter disappointments, deep wrongs, and heartbreaking sorrows. “Drop them, softly maybe, but surely. Put away all regret and bitterness.”

This profound and simple piece has been a precious source of direction in my life and helps me follow Jesus’ commandment given to us today. For some, “letting go” may come easy. For others, (including me!) letting go may be difficult. I know this for sure: we are called to forgive and to be loving people.

In today’s gospel, Jesus give us instructions for how to let go. Pray for the person that you resent. I find that being specific is best. Pray for their health, prosperity, and happiness. Pray this, even if you don’t really want it for them. Say the prayers anyway. The AA Big Book tells us that if you pray such prayers for two weeks, “you will realize that where you used to feel bitterness and resentment and hatred, you now feel compassionate understanding and love.” It works. It has worked for me, and for many others.

Can I do this? In times of great need, I first ask God to help me, to remove my anger and resentment, and to give me a clean heart. With God’s grace I can follow Jesus’ commandment.

Q:  Am I harboring a resentment that I need to let go? With confidence in God’s help, I commit to praying for these  three people during these six weeks of Lent.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023