3rd Sunday of Lent - March 20, 2022

Exodus 3:1-8a, 13-15             1 Corinthians 10:1-6, 10-12               Luke 13:1-9

Today’s gospel ends with a short parable about a fig tree and a questioning individual when the tree failed to bear fruit over the span of three years. The gardener in this story insists on fertilizing the ground to promote growth instead of simply cutting down the tree. To me, this exemplifies the patience we must have in life and the grace we must maintain when things don’t go the way we want them to.  Afterall, most things in life don’t go according to the plan we may have in our minds.

This parable allowed me to reflect on instances in my own life where I have been impatient. Many times I have wanted to reap the benefits of something before the work has been put in. I often find myself praying to God for something or about some aspect in my life that I want to be better or different. While I know God does not simply say yes and give me the things I pray for, I still find myself returning to this habit. Hearing this, I learned that I need to slow down and not assume that all trees will bear fruit in my life, and that is okay. 

Hearing this gospel reminded me of two big lessons to keep in the back of my head as I journey through life. First, is that trees need to be nourished and taken care of to bear fruit. This metaphor can be applied to relationships with family, coaches, teachers, friends, etc. Work has to be put in for the good to come from it. Second, is that even if you water and take care of a tree, it may not always bear fruit. Life is full of unexpected twists, and even in the most perfect scenario, things go wrong. Being open to adapting to these changes is a part of life and takes a great amount of patience and trust.

Q:  Do I trust God to know what is best for me, to plant me where I will thrive and bear fruit?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023