Wednesday of the Second Week of Lent - March 3, 2021

 Jeremiah 18:18-20 Matthew 20:17-28

“Come, let us contrive a plot against Jeremiah...let us destroy him by his own tongue; let us carefully note his every word.”

The people plotting against Jeremiah were his own countrymen and his fellow Jews. I am reminded of Jesus’ words in the synoptic gospels that “a prophet is not without honor except in his native place and in his own house” (Matt. 13:57). Last summer, some work I did for the diocese became the target of a trolling campaign by a fringe social media talk show whose message was riddled with half-truths and disinformation. It was traumatic. I was crushed; mostly because the vitriol came from fellow Catholics. Now don’t get me wrong, I certainly do not imagine myself as a prophet. Goodness no! But like Jeremiah, I too felt betrayed and cried out to God for clarity.

In the end, what continues to trouble me after the experience is that despite the wonderful opportunities social media offers us, we humans still make very little effort to be present to our so-called “enemies” as Jesus taught us to do. The host of that internet show never contacted me. He and I have never prayed together nor stood in the same Communion line at Mass. He doesn’t know how much I love my Catholic faith; that we share a passion for religious literacy; that although I may fail, I sincerely desire to do God’s will above my own. But there ARE people with whom I disagree - and strongly at that - that DO share a pew or a family dinner table with me. And theirs and my presence to one another inspires me to be better, for both our sakes.

Words matter! God spoke the whole world into being. Starting this Lent, let us carefully note God’s Word lest our own evil words become flesh and dwell among us.

Q: Do I use dehumanizing language when I speak about others? How can I get my message across in a loving, more humanizing way?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Ash Wednesday - February 22, 2023

Palm Sunday - April 2, 2023