Thursday of the Second Week of Lent - March 4, 2021

Jeremiah 17:5-10 Luke 16:19-31

I’ve always been troubled by the parable of Lazarus and the rich man (traditionally called Dives). Our view of this parable may depend on where we see ourselves on the Lazarus to Dives (beggar to rich man) continuum.

So why exactly is the rich man punished? I gather for not listening (to God and the prophets) and for not seeing (Lazarus and probably much more). There’s really not much more detail to work with. When I think of Lazarus in our day, I see the people sitting by our intersections with signs asking for money. My response to them is varied, to say the least. I tend to question their intentions. Are they doing all they can about their plight? Will they use the money for alcohol or drugs? Does that mean I am one, according to Jeremiah in the first reading, “whose heart turns away from the Lord?”

Will I too be judged by my response to the people with signs at the intersections? To hear and to see—how many chances do we need to hear the Word of God and to see Lazarus at our door? The rich man had plenty of chances, but wanted more. God, through Abraham, says “enough is enough.” Eventually one runs out of opportunities. There are many opportunities during Lent to hear God’s voice through prayer, scripture, meditation and other modalities. There are opportunities to see who among our  neighbors needs our love and compassion.

And, of course, there are the people with signs at our intersections.

Q: How am I and how are we doing this Lent at hearing and seeing? Am I hearing the voice of God and seeing the needs of our neighbor?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023