Saturday of the Second Week of Lent - March 6, 2021

Micah 7:14-15, 18-20 Luke 15:1-3, 11-32

I love so many things we say as a church in union when we come to worship. But perhaps my favorite phrase will always be from our Penitential Act: “I have greatly sinned….in what I have done and in what I have failed to do.” 

Here we admit to ourselves, to God, and to our fellow church-goers our failings; not only how we conducted ourselves, but where we fell short. I find myself time and time again coming to these words, to remind myself to not list the things I have done well in my walk with Christ, but to acknowledge where I’ve come up short; where I could have been a better reflection of Christ to those around me.

I think it is easy to be as upset as the older son in today’s well-known Gospel when we feel we can list, or are justified by, the actions we’ve taken and the steps we’ve made to properly follow Christ. I should never lose sight (especially when reminded repeatedly in the readings leading up to today’s Gospel) that God is full of mercy, and He is just as merciful, forgiving, and loving towards those whose lists or actions don’t match mine. My sins and shortcomings will never dull His love, compassion, and care for me.

Are the areas where I’ve fallen short a better reflection of myself and my character? Could the Holy Spirit be bringing them to mind for a reason? I’ll be challenging myself this Lent to include more self-reflection, asking myself, and the Holy Spirit, where I could have done more, but didn’t; where I could have been gracious, but wasn’t. I won’t itemize the positive actions I’ve taken, but will ask what I haven’t done, when I’ve failed to humbly come before God and say “I’ve let you down. And for that I’m sorry. Please give me strength to do better.”

Q: How will you challenge yourself this Lent?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023