Monday of the Second Week of Lent - March 1, 2021

Daniel 9: 4-10 Luke 6:36-38

Today’s gospel passage couldn’t be more fitting for recent times. In the past couple of years we’ve experienced civil unrest, social injustices and a political divide that feels heavier than it has in decades. Throw a devastating pandemic on top of all that and you have CHAOS! Of course, these divisions stem way back to past generations, before we were even born. But I feel we are rising back to the surface now and it is a time for change. 

This time in history has tested me, my family, and so too with every single person I know on so many different levels. The fear it has triggered is palpable. The pain is excruciating for some. Earlier today I listened to a podcast with Brené Brown and Episcopalian Bishop Michael Curry on “Love and Hope in Troubling Times.” Something Brené said really stuck with me: “I think people in pain, cause pain. I think people who hurt, hurt people and we don’t know what to do with our pain.” In these times, the pain we feel can definitely be connected to our struggles. Through all of these struggles, it’s so easy to stray away from the strongest helper we have: God.

The prophet Daniel says, “ we have sinned, been wicked, done evil; we have rebelled and departed from your commandments and your laws...we are shamefaced for having sinned against you.” Still, our Lord continues to be compassionate and forgiving. Is this all one massive reminder to live more Christ-like? Can we be more compassionate and forgiving with ourselves and others, whatever “side” they may be on? I think the true gift of pain and struggle is the ability to forgive ourselves, as God forgives us. And therefore move on.

Q: What pain or struggle in my life has led to personal growth? How has my pain and struggle helped me be more compassionate and forgiving to others in pain?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Ash Wednesday - February 22, 2023

Palm Sunday - April 2, 2023