Monday of Holy Week - March 29, 2021

Isaiah 42:1-7 John 12:1-11

This past semester I read The Round House in my English class. The book told a story of injustice in the Native American community. My teacher allowed us to pick any theme from the book and write an essay discussing the topic. I chose to write about justice. Although at the time I chose this topic because it seemed easy, I now see the irony in my essay choice and today’s reading.

In today’s reading, God calls upon his servant to bring forth justice. This call is for both Jesus and ourselves. God not only calls upon us to create justice but tells us that it is our sole mission.

My essay went into terrible detail about the true meaning of justice. I buried myself in educated sources discussing and debating the topic. I concluded that justice has no true definition; it is fluid and shapeshifts to fit every different circumstance. I did find some defining words in my research: respect, equality, peace, and even love.

God doesn’t define justice in today’s reading but I assume that respect, equality, peace, and love would be bolded in his definition. I can also assume that God’s justice isn’t personal but communal. God calls us to bring forth justice to everyone and all nations.

This past year in our country has brought lots of injustice to the front stage. Although many of the issues have been politicized, I believe that we are called to bring forth justice despite our political views or opinions. However, as complicated and confusing as it can be to discern justice’s demands, it is not a choice, but a mission we were made for.

Q: How is God calling me to help him bring forth justice in our world?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023