Friday of the Fifth Week of Lent - March 26, 2021

Jeremiah 20:10-13 John 10:31-42

I know how hard it is to be human, frail, afraid. My gift of very visual memory brings me sorrow as well as joy.

My God is my rock, my fortress. “...Of whom shall I be afraid?...” I must cry out to Him in my distress, reminding myself constantly that He is Love and this love binds me to Him. He has purpose, sometimes unexpected, unknown.

Many times I wonder if I had lived at the time of Christ on Earth, would I have known him as the Son of God? Yet, it is the Holy Spirit who gives us wisdom to know Him, follow Him, and understand that He is constantly at our side.

Daily, I see His hand performing “small miracles’’ and I rejoice even when He calls people home. He causes lives to be changed, opportunities to emerge that wouldn’t have happened before.

Grief is part of human nature, for we are made to love deeply. When I teach little children, which I am called to do, I am aware that some might have lost a grandparent, a friend, a sibling - or will at some point. I tell them of the beauty of Heaven and God and that they will someday see those relatives and will rejoice. For Jesus is our friend, He is our God and He is the Son of God yet is God.” Imagine that!

When I was a Parents as Teachers educator in the Northeast, He was there to save me! I was grateful that there were people whose goodness overcame many temptations. They endured and welcomed God’s love as it shone through their children.

When Lent arrives, I often say “My God, my God - why have I abandoned you ... why have I abandoned you?” I thank God for distress, for showing me the example of endurance. I am frightened at times, afraid I am not ready to be only with Him. I fi nd myself fearful for the father of my children and grandchildren: will they want to go to Heaven - or even care? Oh, yes! He is their rock and salvation.

Q: What has caused me fear or distress? Looking back, can I see the hand of God coming to my aid? As I look ahead over the next year, what distresses me the most? Have I taken this distress to God and asked for His aid? Do I have faith that He will answer my prayer?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Ash Wednesday - February 22, 2023

Palm Sunday - April 2, 2023