Second Sunday of Lent - February 28, 2021

Genesis 22:1-2, 9a, 10-13, 15-18 Romans 8:31b-34 Mark 9:2-10

“Brothers and sisters: If God is for us, who can be against us?” Up until last year, without hesitation, hearing this verse from the second reading always gave me feelings of solid comfort, unquestionable security that there is nothing that can stand in the way of God’s love for us. Of course, God’s love always prevails; no question; period. As I read this verse now, my initial reaction was quite the opposite - what isn’t against us? We have a deadly virus that has changed how we live, an extremely polarizing election year, and rising racial tensions over police shootings. The nightly news provides us with a seemingly insurmountable list of adverse forces facing us.

Honestly, this has not been my best year - faith wise. Most of all my daily activities outside of home were deemed “non-essential” including helping my newly widowed mother adjust to a new retirement community, visiting hospice patients, and preparing breakfast at Morning Glory Cafe. I gradually replaced my morning ritual of listening to the daily scripture readings and twenty minutes of silent prayer, with listening to hours of the morning news which only reinforced my fears.

In today’s first reading God asks Abraham to offer his long-awaited son as a sacrifice. This is the greatest test that Abraham would face. His story is a lesson for us on faith and trust in God if we listen to God’s voice. 

“From the cloud came a voice, ‘This is my beloved Son. Listen to him.” We have in the gospel story of the Transfiguration. God instructs the apostles to listen to Jesus, his messenger of the Word! Lent is a time for self-discipline. As for me, I have turned off the news and returned to my morning ritual of listening to the day’s Scripture readings, followed by my twenty-minute silent prayer. It gives me inner certainty of what I’m called to do each day. And to quote James Finley, one of my favorite modern mystics, it helps me see the “God-given, godly nature in everything” including suffering.

Q: How can you seek God’s nature in your daily life?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023