Tuesday of Holy Week - April 7

Isaiah 49:1-6 John 13:21-33, 36-38

The sun was just starting to peak over the horizon, and I was already 40 miles outside of Kansas City. It was the start of my busy season and the thought of the early mornings and the many miles that lay ahead over the next few months had me feeling quite sorry for myself. I noticed the bumper sticker first, a pink ribbon bearing the words fight like a girl. When I pulled up beside the vehicle, I saw a bald woman, about my age, with a huge grin on her face, singing her heart out. I have no idea what she was singing but, in my mind, it’s always been Gloria Gaynor’s “I will Survive” – or maybe even Cake’s version (she seemed a little edgy – in the good, I want to hang out with this woman, kind of way). I instantly felt horrible for feeling sorry for myself. Here I was, healthy, with three beautiful healthy children, a healthy husband and jobs that allowed us to provide them with a great education. And this woman, who, by all appearances, was fighting for her life was greeting the sunrise as if it was the best day of her life.

In today’s gospel reading Jesus proclaims, “I tell you solemnly that one of you will betray me”. It’s impossible not to admire the composure Jesus was able to maintain. He didn’t feel sorry for himself, he continued to break bread and share wine with his said betrayers. Perhaps this is because Jesus knew that there was nothing that could be done to alter the course of events that were about to unfold. He had accepted his fate with grace accepting that God’s will would be done.

I occasionally think of that woman. I hope her fate was different from Jesus’ and she is living a full and healthy life today. When I feel sorry for myself, especially due to things I have no control over, I strive to be like Jesus in today’s gospel, or that woman on that early September morning, and hold my head up high and accept my fate with grace. Bonus points if I can sing my heart out.

Q: When faced with circumstances out of your control, what song would lift your spirit and give you the strength to move forward? Today, play that song loudly and sing your heart out, giving glory to God for the gift of life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023