Holy Thursday - April 9

Exodus 12:1-8, 11-14 1 Corinthians 11:23-26 John 13:1-15

“How shall I make a return to the Lord for all the good God has done for me?” (Psalms 116:12)

We are entering the space and time that is the Triduum; three sacred days of awe, sadness, wonder and joy. This time of year, the psalm response above is the only appropriate response for me. Breath held, my chest tight, I feel awed that we are experiencing and remembering the last hours of Jesus’ life - and then the mystery of the resurrection.

As a young Catholic kid, and even as a young adult, I did not know much about the Triduum. My mother, of course, participated since she was the church organist. I wondered, “why do we attend the special, extra mass of Holy Thursday and service of Good Friday when we hear the same story of Jesus’ death told to us on Palm Sunday?” Yet, after sponsoring someone in the RCIA process, I realized I had been wrong about their purpose. Participating, being part of, the central Holy Days of our faith – hearing the stories, reflecting, and singing special songs that only appear in those Triduum services – is vastly different than hearing the Passion story on Palm Sunday.

On Holy Thursday we celebrate the new covenant between God and the people, the new covenant in the body and blood of Christ sacrificed for us. A noteworthy activity at the Last Supper, Jesus models service to friends and followers, giving us a call to service that echoes in the Christian call of every believer still today. So, “how can I make a return to the Lord?” Each day, I can pray for others, give to important causes, extend kindness to my family, and follow the model of Jesus: to serve others, in humility, to the best of my ability.

Q: How do you follow Jesus’ model of humble service to others?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Ash Wednesday - February 22, 2023

Palm Sunday - April 2, 2023