Tuesday of the Third Week of Lent - March 17

Daniel 3:25, 34-43 Matthew 18:21-35

In today’s Gospel Peter asks,“Lord, when my brother wrongs me, how often must I forgive him? Seven times?”“No” Jesus replied,“not seven times; I say seventy times seven times.” As a well experienced sinner this passage has always brought me comfort. I often find myself falling into the same traps, I ought to simply type up my confession and hang on to it because time after time they sound quite similar. So yes, I always feel a sense of relief at the abundant grace Jesus describes.

But there is a catch. Jesus goes on to tell Peter the parable comparing the kingdom of heaven to that of the official whose debt is forgiven by his king, but then fails to offer this same forgiveness to one in debt to him. Now this is where it gets a little more challenging. It’s similar to how in the Lord’s prayer we say, “Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.” I pray the Lord’s Prayer frequently whether it’s putting the kids to bed, getting ready to take-off on a flight or when I can’t sleep. Many times I think to myself, who do I need to forgive? I usually struggle to think of a grudge I’m holding against a friend, coworker and of course never my lovely bride. But then I think about some of the challenges we’ve faced over the last several years, a still-born baby, losing my mom to cancer and a very challenging time with one of our kids last year. I don’t always understand God’s plan when these things arise, so perhaps I’m holding a bit of a grudge that needs to be released. Lord, I am thankful for the abundant grace you provide. I ask for keener awareness of those I might need to forgive, and those from whom I might seek forgiveness.

Q: To whom can I pay forward the forgiveness God continuously grants me?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023