Third Sunday of Lent - March 15

Exodus 17:3-7 Romans 5:1-2, 5-8 John 4:5-15, 19b-26, 39a, 40-42

The Gospel situates us with a thirsty Jesus away from his disciples at Jacob’s well, meeting a Samaritan woman dipping for water. Jesus startles us by telling her that (1) he is this hoped for Messiah fellow; that (2) upon asking, he will give her an unheard of “eternal life water” and that 3) somehow, he knows about her unhappy life -- five husbands. When he mentions “eternal life water” I imagine her rolling her eyes and thinking this is kooky, but when Jesus follows this by telling her about her life, she turns 180 degrees with excitement to “this man is a prophet!” Jesus gets her attention. She listens.

I react the same way to Jesus. Much of what Jesus says strikes me as bizarre like “pray for your enemies,” “the fi rst shall be last,” “turn the other cheek,” “forgive, forgive, forgive,” “poor is rich.” And as happened to this woman, Jesus turns me 180 degrees by two happenings -- his gruesome crucifixion followed by his shocking resurrection -- surprise!! Jesus gets my attention. I listen.

But what about his “eternal life water”? Here is my take…Daily I get thirsty and reach for water. Likewise, I thirst daily for answers to questions, solutions, healings. And moreover, I get these  gnawing, recurring thirsts for something real, true, refreshing, beautiful. All too often, I reach for
something that merely distracts, entertains or pleases without satisfaction.

With God’s help, I am nurturing a daily habit of turning to Jesus in prayer with these thirsts and asking for his quenching “eternal life water.” Sometimes I am emboldened to ask for enough to swim in. Do I receive this water? Yes, but not magically. Most comes daily through you, this community of faith, hope and love.

Q: What am I thirsting for today, this week, this Lent? What kind of eternal life water is Jesus offering to me today, this week, this Lent?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Ash Wednesday - February 22, 2023

Palm Sunday - April 2, 2023