Second Sunday of Lent - March 8

Genesis 12:1-4a 2 Timothy 1:8b-10 Matthew 17:1-9

I was very appreciative that the Faith Formation Team reached out to me for this year’s Lenten reflection booklet. With the stress of kids and everyday life, I thought this would be a great chance to take a step back from the chaos and refocus on faith during the Lenten season. Plus, I thought this would be an easy assignment. After all, I attended Catholic grade school, high school, and even went to a Catholic liberal arts college. Well, I was wrong...

It took several tries of reading the scriptures before something jumped out at me. In the reading from the second letter of Paul to Timothy “God has saved us and has called us to a holy life…He has robbed death of its power and has brought life and immortality into clear light through the gospel.” I found that similar to a section from the Gospel according to Matthew when “Out of the cloud came a voice which said, “This is my beloved Son on whom my favor rests. Listen to him.” When they heard this, the disciples fell forward on the ground, overcome with fear. Jesus came toward them and laying his hand on them, said, “Get up! Do not be afraid.’”

I thought both passages offer similar messages, when life gets too diffi ult or just feels out-of-control, we can take comfort in knowing that God is there for us. I feel this often and as long as I am open to God’s love, then I can take comfort in knowing I can get through whatever challenge lies ahead of me.

Q: What does it mean to me to be called to a “holy life”?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023