Saturday of the Third Week of Lent - March 21

Hosea 6:1-6 Luke 18: 9-14

Today’s first reading states, “In their affl iction, they shall look for me.” These words strike a chord as I reflect on recent experiences relating to life and death and the journey we all navigate in finding God, whether we are living, grieving, or dying.

We recently celebrated the joy of bringing two newborns into the world while also suffering the loss of two loved ones, all in the span of about 13 months. Grieving loved ones while simultaneously nurturing new life brought about feelings of profound joy and profound sadness. It left me feeling somewhat disconcerted and exhausted.

While I admit to doing my fair share of wallowing in newborn sleeplessness and tears, I also found commonalities in these confl icting experiences that I didn’t expect. There is undeniable beauty and happiness in celebrating a new life. Dewy little faces requesting love and attention and no shortage
of doting onlookers ready to swoop in and give love. Contrary to this newborn celebration, grief brought feelings of pain and sorrow, humility and vulnerability. As we grappled with our mixed emotions, our appreciation and respect for the grieving process grew. Grief is so beautiful and brave,
vulnerable and merciful. To really grieve I had to reconcile that a loved one’s unique and precious life has come to an end and that their earthly afflictions are no more. I must celebrate the thought that in death they have found God.

Over time, exhaustion and sadness subsided, leaving feelings of peace and overwhelming gratitude. Eventually, I found what mattered most-God’s love surrounding us. The love and compassion of friends and family during a most vulnerable time left us feeling more grateful than we really knew
possible. A peacefulness I never knew before also emerged: a peace in knowing loved ones’ earthly sufferings were no more; that God’s steadfast love and the love of others envelopes my children, my family, and me; and a peace in knowing that I have both love and faith to give and to receive.

Q: When, in affliction, have I looked for God? When, in joy, have I sought God? Where did I find God and God’s peace at these times?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023