Saturday of the Fourth Week of Lent - March 28

Jeremiah 11:18-20 John 7:40-53

Today’s Gospel starts with a large crowd gathered around Jesus and the Pharisees, who are having a discussion. Many in the crowd believed He was either the Messiah or the Prophet. However, others were doubtful. After all, the scriptures said the Messiah would come from Bethlehem, but Jesus had
come from Galilee.

Many in the crowd, including the chief priests, wanted the guards to arrest him. The guards were unsure of what to do. He was unlike anyone they had ever met. They were amazed and in awe of this man. The chief priests saw Jesus as a threat to their power. However, one chief priest, Nicodemus, defended Jesus, pointing out he hadn’t broken any laws. After taunting Nicodemus, the other chief priests left Jesus alone.

After reading this Gospel, I think about being in the Pharisees’ shoes. Am I quick to judge? Am I too critical of others with a different faith or set of beliefs than mine? Do I speak up and defend others, even when it’s uncomfortable? Do I defend my faith when others are critical?

As I think about all these questions and refl ect on what I’ve read, I will challenge myself to be more like Nicodemus. who sticks up for others, even when doing so is difficult.

Q: When am I like the Pharisees in this story? How can I be more like Nicodemus?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023