Friday of the Second Week of Lent - March 13

Genesis 37:3-4, 12-13, 17-28 Matthew 21:33-43, 45-46

Several times throughout the New Testament, Jesus uses a parable or a story to get his point across and to really emphasize his message. In today’s gospel, he does just that when confronting a group of chief priests and elders in his religious community. By the end of the story, it is obvious that Jesus successfully conveyed his message, “When the chief priests and the Pharisees heard these parables, they realized he was speaking about them.”

I often wonder… if Jesus were to tell a story that paralleled my own life, would I recognize myself among his characters? Would I walk away disappointed in the way he portrayed me? The parable in today’s gospel speaks to the lack of vision the religious leaders had regarding Jesus as the “keystone of the structure;” or quite simply, the foundation of the world to come. Can I relate? Is Jesus the foundation of my life?

A problem I run into at times is that I try to script my life when the true author of my story is God. When I find myself trying to write-in all the details, things get really messy and begin to crumble. However, when I stay focused and fully aware that Jesus is the keystone of my life, I can trust that my story is unfolding just the way God wrote it. I don’t think Jesus expects me to understand everything that happens in my life’s story, but I do believe he calls me to never lose sight of his role in it.

Q: On what or whom have you built your life? If you were to do some “foundation work,” where would could you place Jesus as its keystone?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023