Friday of the Fourth Week of Lent - March 27

Wisdom 2:1, 12-22 Psalm 34 John 7:1-2, 10, 25-30

I have to be honest, I really had no idea what this passage meant. I must have read it 30 times. So, I did what any deep thinker of my generation does…I googled it. Unfortunately, that didn’t help much either. Much like sports and politics, there are a lot of opinions when it comes to biblical scripture. Did you know that there are comment sections online when you google scripture? Everyone has an opinion. I spent a lot of time reading various takes on what the passage meant and how I can relate it to my life and the lives of others.

Just as I was about to give up, one phrase at the end jumped out at me, “And they knew not the hidden counsels of God”. How appropriate, even “they” did not understand God and his teachings, I’m not alone in the understanding of God, faith and its mysteries. I began to realize that understanding God takes work. Much like the work I did in trying to understand this passage. Understanding God is not simply attending church. It is reading the bible, discussing it with others and listening, and living out your faith in service to others.

The Lenten season and this book provides us with a time to do just that. It gives us a chance to all work towards a better understanding of God…even if we have to google it.

Q: How can I hear and understand God’s message better?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023