Thursday of the Fourth Week of Lent - April 4, 2019



I must admit I struggle with understanding the readings presented today. What does the church want me to understand by choosing these two readings together? I see two common themes throughout these scriptures--our own shortcomings of faith and God’s reliance on our learned peers to serve as our advocates or messengers in our lives.

The Exodus reading reminds me that there are undoubtedly times when I have profoundly gone off the rails, and that at those times I have to hope that there are people who still think I am worth supporting.  These readings make me ask myself: Have I been a good neighbor to those around me? Have I demonstrated to others that I am a good person? Have I demonstrated it enough that they will feel it important to convince others to overlook my shortcomings? Who would stand up to God and defend me? I wonder. I should probably work harder on that.

In the reading from John’s gospel, I see Jesus once again pointing out how our own lack of faith prevents us from seeing the truth right in front of our eyes.  Jesus points out how in order to get through to us and hear Him, we have to have love in our hearts to see as God sees and pay attention to the messengers sent into our lives.  This gospel makes me ask: Who are the people I listen to?  In what ways do I miss Jesus’ messages to me?   I know that Jesus speaks to us in the people who are all around us. I must be faithful and free enough to pay attention.

This reminds me of the focus of this year’s parish book, Stranger God.  As I work my way through that book I am realizing how much work I have to do to recognize Christ’s presence daily in the people all around me. I hope that I can be better at recognizing Him when He speaks to me more directly.

Q:  In the end, I take two questions away with me for our further consideration. Who are the people that will advocate to God and others on my behalf? Who do I ignore in the last few days and thus miss the presence of Christ right beside me?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023