Thursday of the Fifth Week of Lent - April 11, 2019



Today’s reading from the book of Genesis (Chapter 17) describes the beginning of the covenant relationship between God and Abraham.  God makes an everlasting pact with Abraham promising to be with him and his descendants forever. 

Like many of you, when I hear stories of Abraham, I think about the famous story in Genesis 22 in which God asks Abraham to sacrifice his longed for and beloved son, Isaac.  It is hard to imagine how God could have asked such a thing.   I have known fathers who have been challenged in their faith just because of this scripture story. The thought of God asking someone to sacrifice his child to show him love and devotion--what kind of an ultimatum is that?

Thinking about this later Genesis story encouraged me to question the context, the hyperbole and the meaning of the Genesis readings in order to understand better my relationship with God.
Abraham is asked for the extreme sacrifice.  This is the same God who in today’s reading from Chapter 17 promises Abraham that he will be the father of a host of nations; he promises as well that kings and leaders will stem from Abraham’s descendants. 

But here is the deal—Abraham and his descendants must keep this covenant and maintain loyalty to God forever. So the passage about the sacrifice of Isaac is a test of that covenant.  Abraham passes that test.  We probably never will understand why God would ask such a thing.  But the point of the story is about being willing to listen to what God asks of us.

In my own life, I have often fought through the sacrifices God has asked me to make because they did not fit into my vision for life. The discomfort in letting go of something you cherish or desire can be daunting. But one thing is for sure: God will eventually give a harder push. Now, when God speaks to me I realize I am thinking too small, and the larger vision he desires for me is greater than my own foresight allows me to perceive.  The scripture I now turn to, to help me with this is, Proverbs 3:5-6 “Trust in the Lord with all you heart; and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and he shall make straight your path.”

Q:  Have I ever felt like God was asking the impossible or difficult from me?  Did I listen?  If so, how did it turn out?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023