Holy Thurday - April 18, 2019



Holy Thursday is the liturgical culmination of all the preparation of the previous six weeks.  It is the beginning of the holiest three days in the church year. In the liturgy’s first reading, God gives Moses precise and detailed information on how to prepare for the Passover meal.

When I read tonight’s first reading from Exodus, I reflected on all the times in my life when I had to prepare. If I had to be ready for an event, I did not get there without practice, practice, practice. I ask myself as Lent comes to an end and we begin the celebration of the Triduum, am I prepared? Did I pay attention to the readings each day of Lent? Did I do what I needed to do this Lent? To be prepared, takes practice.

My first recollection of an adult in my life other than my parents occurred at age five. I took piano lessons. It was considered a privilege and a discipline in our home. Each week I had a lesson and I was to practice every day and chart all of my practice times.  I had to write them in a ledger and show them to my piano teacher.  She always knew when I was really doing the work throughout the week because all the instructions that she had given me the previous week were completed as she had instructed.  Ms. Schnorf was very specific about what scales I was to do, how many times I was to practice the chords and what pieces I could play. While I do not remember her ever explaining why this was important, I remember that the good lessons I had were at the end of a good week of practices.

From early childhood to today, I have had specific teachers in my life who have and continue to ask me to practice for the game, a concert, an event and my spiritual life.  This Lent season has been my time to practice and listen to God’s instructions in an effort to make this the best Easter celebration ever.

Q: Do I practice each day to live as faithfully as possible? Can I chart my practices?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023