Friday of the Fifth Week of Lent - April 12, 2019



At first glance when reading today’s reading from John’s gospel, I was quickly caught off guard when I read Jesus’ words:  “Many good deeds I have shown you from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?” This quote really resonated with me because in my life it is quite relatable, especially in this Lenten season. As a junior in high school, life can be busy and stressful at times. With this, it is hard to find free time to practice the Catholic faith I have grown up around.

As time flies by I always get caught up in the world around me and I do not participate in simple things like prayer and going to mass. However, I never attempt to correct myself or do anything about it. Of course, since I go to a Catholic High School we do have certain times of prayer throughout the day, but it is quick and to the point. So this quote really spoke to me because of how I tend to cast a rock at Jesus, figuratively of course, because I am constantly straying away from Him. He has shown everyone the amazing things God has done, but just like his audience in this Gospel, I also do not recognize these deeds.

In addition, I do believe that is important to do good deeds not only within the confines of my family but the community in which I live. Through reflection on this reading, I have realized that this Lenten season should be about prayer but it should also be about participating in more service to our own families and the community. Going to a Jesuit school, we are taught to give until it hurts and this is important to recognize especially during Lent.

Q: Am I taking time to pray? What am I doing to help those in need around me? Have I done all that I can to be an example of Christ?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023