Wednesday of the Third Week of Lent - March 27, 2019



Every Lenten season I think of what I should give up – as a kid raised Catholic, it usually ends up being something in the category of unhealthy foods. Halfway through Lent, I start to question, “Is giving up chips really what makes me see Christ within myself?” Then when I sneak a couple Goldfish crackers into my lunch, I do not feel so guilty. As I continue dismissing my Lenten promise, I begin to see that I also have influenced others to dismiss their Lenten promises.

God’s commandments are not just given to us to pass judgment on ourselves. More importantly, they are to be followed in order to support our fellow Christians and friends in their faith. The gospel today inspires us to ask, “Do my actions show consideration that I am the face of Christ to others?” In the first reading Moses says, “Observe [God’s laws] carefully, for thus will you give evidence of your wisdom and intelligence to the nations.” We are given these commandments to bring out the best in each other and to reveal our best to the world.

As a student that has attended thirteen years of religion classes at school, the story of the Ten Commandments and Moses preparing the people to hear them has been told to me many, many times. But every time I see the ten “rules” I understand better the structure of our Church and its benefits. If we allow the traditions of the Church to guide us, we will be “great in the kingdom of God” as Jesus says in the gospel.

We are not given these “laws” to pass judgment on others, or ourselves but as means to examine whether Christ is alive within us. Pope Francis said, “The Ten Commandments come from a God who has created us for love, from a God who has forged a close alliance with humanity, a God who only wills the good for man.” They are given to us so we will have a path to follow. But if we sometimes stray from the path, the season of Lent reminds us that God always calls us back.

Q:  When I think of the 10 Commandments or Church law, do I feel judged by them or am I able to understand them as a gift from God to help me become more Christ-like?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023