Wednesday of the Second Week of Lent - March 20, 2019



During the Lenten season, it feels appropriate to renew a sense of service to family, community and the strengthening of faith.

What comes to mind in these passages is that to be truly a success in life is to put one’s talents at the service of others. In Matthew’s gospel, the mother petitions for her sons to be placed in a position of power. But Jesus insists on service and the gift of self, which they did not understand. This calls me to consider how we teach the importance of service to our children. Obviously one important way is by example. I have struggled with helping my children find their way to this independently.

I ask myself if the way I live in my community follows the advice of Jesus? I came to a revelation and a new way of looking at what my family does for others through our business. In creating a restaurant that has been a part of this community for 18 years, we have created a place that means different things to different people. For some it is a home away from home. Sometimes it becomes a place for those who have nowhere else to be or a place where they meet loved ones and create memories.

There have been many times over the last 18 years when running a restaurant causes hardships. I look back at these times now with today’s psalm in mind and see that by placing trust in God’s “steadfast love” I can be saved from the anxieties and stresses that always come and go in life. These will always exist, but so will the joy of giving back to my family and community.

Jesus says in today’s gospel, “Anyone among you who aspires to greatness must serve the rest...”  Giving to others gives me immeasurable joy and strengthens my faith in ways that I am just starting to understand.

“If you live the life you love, you get the blessing from above.”  -- Van Morrison

Q:  What are the many ways you give of yourself that bring you joy?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023